In this blog, we will only focus on product launch formula & plan for Digital Marketing platforms for micro, small, & medium startups & organizations. Along with Digital Marketing campaigns, equal weight must be given to Traditional marketing campaigns such as pamphlets, TVC, Newspapers Ads, Radio Ads etc. But that totally depends on the product launch budget.
Also, there might be a plethora of options for any business to invest in, but here we will focus on most basic yet most important aspects of digital marketing options which will lay down the founding stones of your Product Launch. Here, you will also be guided about the prices of individual services so that it might not become difficult for you to hire employees or freelancers or agencies. We would not be discussing the Salary of Employees as it is totally dependent on your organizational parameters.
This whole article is written by Deep Experts in their fields but in a very simple way so that it could be understood by anyone who is looking forward to any product launch.
Also, the consulting provided in this article is worth at least $500 so read it with utter importance 🙂
Before we start on the steps to do a product launch, we would like to make you aware of certain Digital Marketing Talent Jargons which you might come across while hiring.
Who are Growth Hackers, Digital Marketing Managers, Social Media Managers, SEO Experts, Search Engine Marketing Experts, PPC (Pay Per Click) experts, & Micro-Influencers and what are their roles & responsibilities?
Irrespective of whatever the term we coin for these expert people, let us be very clear that the differentiating boundaries are very fluid and one man can have single to multiple roles. Our major idea is to make you aware of these terms when someone tells you about its expertise.
- Content Creators – The content creators are the experts whose main expertise is in blogs writing, wallpapers/image creation, video development, and other content creation activities. They usually have an avg. knowledge of digital marketing but definitely not a deep & strategic one. You should not be dependent on them for extensive DM activities such as SEM, SMM, SEO, ASO etc.
- Social media Managers – These are the experts who have their core expertise only on various social media platforms. They might have little to none knowledge regarding SEO or SEM. But they usually have good knowledge of Paid Campaigns on various Social Media Platforms.
- SEO Experts – These are the experts of SEO mechanism and have a usual talent for managing your rank in Google SERP. They might not have that kind of knowledge regarding social media and other platforms. They can also help in getting your App a good rank in App Store under App Store Optimization (ASO) service but that’s not always true.
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM) Experts / Pay Per Click (PPC) experts – These are the people who are good at Google AdWords & other Paid Social Media Campaigns.
- Micro-influencers – It’s a relatively new term in the market in which it is understood that these people have a good following on single or multiple social media platforms or have good traffic on their websites which can actually help in creating a brand image of your product or organization. Usually, they charge on Post basis. For example, they might charge you $500 just for your single post on their platform. Their charges are purely dependent on your negotiation skills.
- Digital Marketing Managers – These are the people who are literally the “JACK OF ALL TRADES & MASTER OF SOME”. They might know a bit of SEO, SEM, SMM, Content Marketing, E-mail Marketing, Influencer marketing or can have good knowledge of many of the digital marketing tactics. They can help you in arrangement & management of resources for best possible results. These are people which must be your top priority if you are looking for the least amount of investment in Digital Marketing. Most of the times, they get the things done at any cost. These are usually in touch with all kind of people such as website developers, graphic designers & video developers, app developers, micro influencers etc. who can actually make an awesome brand image of your product on the internet.
- Growth Hackers – Here comes the top rated term which is highly famous in industry “GROWTH HACKING”. These people are basically the next version of Digital Marketing Managers who even understand your business inside out. They create growth strategies and the whole of the Sales & Marketing teams have to follow them rigorously for maximum growth. If chosen a talented growth hacker, the organizational success rate increases many folds. Along with Strategizing things they too have very good client interaction & sales skills which helps in rocketing sales numbers.
The product launch strategy depends on the following factors:
- Content Creation & Management according to the various platforms & Marketing Campaigns.
- Paid / Organic Marketing Campaigns according to Target Audience on relevant platforms.
- Excellent Management of the above two factors.
Content Creation & Management:
- Blog Posts creation
- A Minimum of 10 Blog Posts Per month has to written for getting a good visibility in Google SERP. But it’s best if we can have 15 – 30 blog posts per month for first 3 months.
- Blogs are a must for any organization for any sort of product launch or business launch and you just can’t ignore them in any way.
- If possible, co-founders must write the initial 15-20 blogs so that there might not be any discrepancy in the initial information flow to the search engines. After that, bloggers can be hired. To be very frank, you are not a very good co-founder if you are not able to tell about what you are doing and what problem you are solving. Usually, a co-founder is good at both creation & marketing so he must have a base idea of what to write so that it sells. And if you are not able to write then you either need a marketing co-founder or a good employee which can do that for you.
- Create the blog section on your website itself and not on other third party mediums like “Medium”, “Quora”, “Separate WordPress Site Blogs”. The first posting of the blog must be done on the website blog and then after a couple of hours, you can post it on other platforms. You can even the blog post to the Google Indexer for fast indexing. You can use “Blog Category” Page (www. Yourdomain. Com /blog) or can also use a subdomain for handling the blogs such blog. Yourdomain. Com . It does not matter and Google itself has stated that both are kind of same for SEO perspectives. A usual practice is, you should have separate subdomain if you have blog posts of more than 1000 blogs.
- Bloggers can be hired on an average cost of $25 – $100 for 350 – 400 words SEO optimized blog post. The price totally depends on the content niche and obviously their writing capabilities.
- Wallpapers / Image Posts creation
- A minimum of 30 wallpapers/image posts per month with at least 1 image post daily must be posted simultaneously on all selected social media platforms. Best is 90 image posts per month with a regular 3 image posts per day for initial 3 months must be posted. Average can also be 60 image posts per month with 2 image posts daily.
- Don’t ever think of creating a Social Media marketing strategy without Image/video content. Text content is throttled by the social media platforms and it does not reach to the mass audience. Also, text content has no chance of becoming viral anytime soon.
- A Single Wallpaper / Image Post may cost in between $5 – $10
- Video Content Development
- These videos can be anything from business explainer videos, corporate profile videos, functional explanatory videos, customer testimony videos. But, initially, we will need company profile videos or explainer videos for describing various aspects of our products & services. Also, it’s best if we can have a Corporate Profile Video of the business within 1 month of launch as it really increases the customer trust in services.
- There must be at least 4 videos per month must be posted for initial trust-building among users. But its best if we can have 8 videos per month.
- The price range of explainer video is: $200 – $1000 per minute & the average development time is 15 – 30 days so you have to manage accordingly.
- The average length of the video must be kept under 60 seconds for maximum engagement unless it’s a company / corporate profile video which must describe all functions of your product in the least possible time. Try to keep it in between 60 – 150 seconds.
- Make sure the videos contain copyright free background music freely available on the internet.
Marketing Campaigns Management:
- Selection of Relevant Social Media Platforms – A business entity must be present on at least 5 Social Media Platforms namely Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube. Presence on Quora, Reddit, Pinterest, Medium are additional help for the SEO & trust building point of perspectives.
- Hiring Social Media Managers –
- The usual charges for managing social media platforms is $100 – $200 per platform per month. But you can get a good deal if you hire select them for managing multiple platforms. These charges do not include any content creation activities so don’t confuse Social Media Managers with content creators. Another thing that must be noted here that SM Managers will not run ads from their own salary so PPC / Paid Campaigns Marketing Budget must be kept separately.
- The major role of Social Media Manager is understanding your social media audience and strategizing the content and marketing campaigns accordingly. The management of PPC / Paid Social Media Campaigns & creatives according to Paid Social Media Campaigns is another major expertise of SMM. Along with that, regular Paid Campaigns Optimization, Inbound queries resolution & inbound lead nurturing are also the responsibilities of Social Media Manager. In short, whatever is required to excel the social media user engagement must be understood and acted upon accordingly.
- Most of the times, Social Media Managers are not very good at creatives so you should not consider them for content creation and vice versa. But they can get you a basic wallpaper/image posts for sure. Video development is a bit of tacky but an ultra-basic explainer video can be designed by them. Just don’t kill the messenger for the quality.
- Social Media Managers are best effective when you already have a content creation team but no strategy & resources to market the content on various platforms.
- If you want both content creation & content marketing, then it’s best to rope in some Digital Marketing Agency which can handle both of these activities.
- So unless you are very peculiar & is pretty sure about what you are doing its always best to hire freelancers or an agency for all such activities instead of employing in-house talent. In the end, it’s the results that matter, and irrespective of employees you can Hire & Fire the Freelancers & Agency in a snap!
- Hiring SEO Expert –
- Hiring SEO Experts is very tricky, reason being, Companies / Startups are just not sure of the deliverables of SEO Expert so let’s first understand the responsibilities of an SEO expert because unless you understand the service you can’t associate the salary / cost / price of service.
- First thing first, understand the bitter truth that No Expert / Team of SEO Expert can take your business website or app to the first page of Google in just one month of product launch unless they are using highly unsafe Black Hat SEO tactics. So, stop asking them for certain kind of unbelievable results.
- The average time for SEO results being fully ripe is 6 months and test period for any SEO expert/team is 2 months. Within 2 months, if the SEO is done right, there would be a positive change of at least 10% – 20% in the overall rank of the website in the target location. There are many factors for building a nice SEO strategy so its best if you read the relevant SEO blog post on our blog.
- Now the questions arise, Should you hire a single SEO Expert or Team of SEO Experts? And, Should you hire in-house SEO Expert / Team or a Freelancer SEO Expert / Team? Regarding the first question, let us be very clear, SEO IS NOT A ONE MAN ARMY JOB so unless you are just stuck in your prejudiced world, don’t try to grill the employee for getting rank on the first page. It’s just that you might get lucky sometimes because of low competition keywords or NO-Competition keywords and your SEO guy may make a fool out of you by stating that it has taken your website on the first page of Google. A usual SEO Team comprises of 2-5 SEO experts which have done some serious work in ranking their clients. It may increase as well but then they will work as an agency and not as a freelancer. You should ask for their previous work but it may be a possibility that they might show other’s work as their own as there is no way checking them unless they provide some insider information. The best way to judge them is to check their own website rank for various keywords. For the second question, unless you are a big organization, or have loads of money to spend, you should seriously not focus on hiring an entire SEO team for managing SEO activities. But a Digital Marketing Expert who knows the basics of SEO, SEM, SMM etc. is a must. He also bridges the gap between native business management people & digital marketing experts for getting maximum results. Also, Hiring & Firing an agency or freelancer is always better than to fire an employee.
There are certainly other activities too which should be given equal importance for a product launch like:
- Relevant Domain
- Good & Fast Website / App
- Professional E-mails
- Presence on at least 3-5 Social Media Platforms
- Launch Press release if possible
- And still much more parameters….
We think that the information regarding these said parameters is already available on the internet and if we will start writing on these parameters, this 2500 words article will become 25,000 words article. So we will be writing a separate post describing the importance of these aspects as well but for the time being, you can read and ripe the benefits of this post.
So, the best possible strategy is, these activities have to be done by sales co-founder itself and it is busy then its best to hire a Digital Marketing Manager who can strategize & manage resources for all of the digital marketing activities for the product launch.
And if you want someone at a marketing knowledge level of Sales co-founder then you should seriously focus on hiring a growth hacker.
In a digital world, it’s the “result” that matters and geographical boundaries are just another immaterial aspects to ignore. So it’s OK to have remote working employee / freelancer / agency unless they are delivering what you require or what they promised for. It’s not a work where you have to pull a trigger or clean a machine every day so you have to be present every day at the office premises. There is the whole list of pros and cons for hiring remote working employees or freelancers which in the end has to be taken care by yourself. But, for launching your product requires a serious 30-days prior preparation after having a positive beta test run of the product and you might need tons of support from these digital marketing guys for a successful product launch.